Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Praying is > Complaining Phil 4:6

On my way to work trying to make it through the yellow light I was slowing down to an almost complete stop as my car had to go from nice smooth 50 mph asphalt to rocky construction 25mph zone and a 4 inch change in road I had to climb to turn right. I hear something rattle in my car when I hit the awful road. great. 
I'm listening to the radio about prayer accomplishing more than complaining and thinking about documenting this on my blog today WHILE I get ready to text my husband about the terrible roads and how our town never improves....I realize I was just about to complain. I literally had half the text written out " ugh... these roads are going to be the death of my..."
LIGHTBULB
I WAS complaining. But wait, what was I just listening to? "Prayer accomplishes more than complaining does". I should bring my concerns to God instead of just talking about how much I loath something.
I feel like we realize this all the time but few actually stop themselves from complaining. "What if I spent more time praying about the condition of our city's roads", I think to myself. What If I spend more time telling God that I'm concerned about what's going on at work or at home instead of spending so much time thinking about how screwy things are?
I wouldn't say I'm much of a worrier but I do over think things (same difference?). For the most part that keeps me fully prepared but when I don't give God the reigns on my concerns it only weighs me down.
Now I understand sometimes we have to get things off our chest... That's venting, there's a difference. But we would really be doing everyone more benefit if we confided in someone that would pray our concerns with us instead of gossiping with us.

Philippians 2:14-15 says "Do all things without grumbling, faultfinding, or complaining.
15 That you may show yourselves to be blameless, innocent, uncontaminated, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and wicked generation [spiritually perverted and perverse], among whom you are seen as bright lights (stars or beacons shining out clearly) in the [dark] world.
I would much rather bite my tongue and be a light to anyone watching my words and reactions that to spout off my complaints.

Philippians 4:6-9 says "Do not worry about anything, but in everything, by prayer (defined requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God."
This morning I wanted to tell God how badly we needed completed roads and then praise Him for the car and short drive to work he's already provided for me.
7 And God’s peace beyond any understanding shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Him telling me there is no need to worry. He's got this.
8 Whatever is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, gracious, if there is any virtue, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
Uneven roads are not worthy of my time.
The person that just cut you off...
They don't fall into any of those so don't fret about it.
That person who raised their voice to you at work when you were just giving them good customer service.... give it to God. It's not worth our time to complain about what just happened.
9 Practice what you have learned and received, model your way of living after it, and the God of peace will be with you.
"Practice huh? You mean it's going to happen even after I pray?" You betcha! Practice makes.... almost perfect ;) Before you know it you won't even worry about these little things. But you have to make a choice each time until then to give your complaining to God.

~Rayah

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment!!
I look forward to reading it!